I stumbled on this beautiful website called www.networkofwellbeing.org which had these 4 thought provoking questions to the reader. I attempt in this blog to take the first one in utmost honesty. Readers are welcome to attempt these questions too.
The question is “What does well-being mean to me?"
For example, one answer that was given to me was “well-being” is being well. That led me to ask “What does "well" mean to me?Again my intelligent mind told me, “Well” means physical fitness, being in the best of shape, eating healthy food, getting your 8 hour sleep.
It only led me to ask “if I do not do any of this, does it mean I am un-well?"
The mind said, relax, you are well. So much for deception
I like to call my mind “JHUMPO”* – meaning the jumper. You will not get this word in the dictionary, hence don’t even attempt to.
JHUMPOpedia search revealed the following on physical fitness and made me ponder on whether I do any of them even remotely.PHYSICAL FITNESS
1. Do daily physical exercises
2. Do daily stretching of my body
3. Eat a solid blend of carbs, proteins and fats
4. Eat more at home and less outside by the street side
5. Eat at least two whole fruits without cutting them daily
6. Keep myself informed on the latest in physical fitness exercises
7. Run the Marathon (whichever part of the world you live) at least once a year
8. Go for treks, hikes to the mountains
9. Walk in the forests
Then I asked JHUMPO “what about mental fitness? Well, JHUMPO did a quick JHUMPOpedia search into its database and came up with fantastic answers, to share a few :
1. You read fitness and health magazine
2. You read the newspaper
3. You visit TED videos and talks
4. You do brain exercises?
5. You visit various websites which stretch your brain
6. You watch Television channels like Nat Geo, Discovery
7. You talk intelligently
8. You talk smartly
9. You know lots of vocabulary
The list went on and on. JHUMPOpedia said that since I do all of this, I am well.
1. What about emotional fitness?
2. What about spiritual fitness?
Emotional fitness made me squirm in my seat since I realized this whole idea of well-being was going deep and getting serious. Here are the options that were given to me.
1. When was the last time you forgave any person from your heart?
2. When was the last time you sought forgiveness from any person whom you have hurt knowingly or unknowingly?
3. When was the last time you expressed your love to your family members and friends?
4. When was the last time you met your childhood buddies and had your childhood banter?
5. When was the last time you did an act of charity which gave you satisfaction and left your heart warm?
6. When was the last time you had a heart to heart talk to a stranger?
7. When was the last time you felt like a kid and just giggled till you had to hold your pot belly out of pain?
8. When was the last time you paid a visit to your ailing relative and just sat by and spoke to him/her?
9. When was the last time you said a heartfelt “Thank you” to your local traffic policeman for doing whatever he can to manage the chaotic traffic?
I warned you this is deep. The next one is the jewel on the crown. Go for it I say.
Spiritual fitness made me look up in wonder at this great cosmic creation of which we are a part. If you are a non-believer in the concept of GOD, I am fine with your choice. You will still benefit from reading this section.
1. When was the last time you spoke to GOD?
2. When was the last time you took care of the EARTH?
3. When was the last time you expressed gratitude to the little acts of kindness you have received, knowingly or unknowingly?
4. When was the last time you planted a sapling and nurtured it until it grew into a tree?
5. When was the last time you saw a butterfly and were in awe of the colours it flaunted?
6. When was the last time you got drenched in the rains and looked up to say thank you?
7. When was the last time you read and quenched your thirst from the great wisdom books like the Bible, Quran, and Bhagvad Gita?
8. When was the last time you went to a church, temple, synagogue, mosque only to realize that you are a spiritual being who has taken a physical vehicle?
9. When was the last time you experienced the light and silently nurture a desire to spread the light?
As you reflect on the above, you may have your own reflections to write about. Do comment and share your questions while I now reflect on the 2nd questions to write my next blog. Take care.
DISCLAIMER: *JHUMPO and JHUMPOpedia is a pigment of my imagination and bears no resemblance to any character dead or alive. If there is any person or entity with a similar sounding name, please note this is purely a coincidence and at no point, do I mean any disrespect to you.